It’s true. That’s why, at Blevins Dentistry, we offer several periodontics service to help maintain your healthy teeth and gums for many years to come.
Our hygienists and dentist are trained to offer effective periodontal disease and gum disease treatments with both surgical and non-surgical treatment options.
Catching gum disease early on
It is very important to catch gum disease early, before it progresses to periodontal disease. Unfortunately most patients ignore these early warning signs of gum disease:
- Gums that become soft to the touch over time.
- Gums that look irritated instead of the healthy pink color they should be.
- Minor bleeding when brushing your teeth.
- Gums that become discolored, like a dark red color instead of a healthy pink color.
If you notice any of these symptoms, don’t ignore them. Schedule your appointment as soon as possible to get treated for gum disease.
Signs of periodontal disease
Untreated gum disease can progress to a more serious problem—periodontal disease. Signs and symptoms include:
- Inflamed, swollen gums
- Loose teeth
- Receding gums
- Bright red or purple gums
- Tender, sensitive gums
- Mouth sores
- Persistent bad breath (halitosis)
- Persistent bad taste in the mouth
- Spaces in between the teeth that develop over time
- Changes in the way the teeth fit together when biting down
- Pus between your gum line and teeth (pyorrhea)
If you notice any of these symptoms, call your dentist as soon as possible for an evaluation.
The risks of untreated periodontal disease
Without timely, effective treatments, periodontal disease can lead to:
- heart attack
- pancreatic cancer
- premature birth
- respiratory disease
- digestive disorders
Don’t put yourself at risk any longer. If you suspect periodontal disease or gum disease, call your dentist for an appointment today. At Blevins Dentistry, we will carefully evaluate your symptoms, teeth, and gums during your periodontal checkup appointment, and provide periodontics treatment when necessary.